Throughout the Infosphere exists so called appearances lists, these lists are intended to give the reader a perspective of where the topic at hand appears throughout Futurama. Hence its name.
Next to these lists are certain icons. Each of these icons represent a different type of media that the subject at hand appeared in.
The current icons (as of 5 March, 2009) are as follows:
- This icon represents episodes.
- This icon represents films.
- This icon represents special episodes.
- This icon represents comics, and variants thereof, such as mini comics and special issues.
- Note: A current consideration is to split this icon into one for comics, et al., one for mini-comics and one for special issues.
- This icon represents the game. Right now, there is only one interactive release of Futurama, but since its icon simply do not fall in any of the other categories by a long shot, it has been given its own icon.
The reason for given the representation of the media is for the reader to decided whether they consider this important, but some fans of the show, comics and games are regarded as non-canon, and these icons helps to disguise the one media from another.