Murder on the Planet Express
|← Previous||Navigation in production order||Next →|
|Season 7 episode|
Broadcast season 10 episode
|Murder on the Planet Express|
|Written by||Lewis Morton|
|Directed by||Frank Marino|
|Title caption||#1 Rated Show in Universe 3|
|First air date||21 August, 2013|
|Title reference||The 1934 Agatha Christie novel Murder on the Orient Express|
"Murder on the Planet Express" is the one hundred and thirty-eighth episode of Futurama, the twenty-fourth of the seventh production season and the eleventh of the tenth broadcast season. It aired on 21 August, 2013, on Comedy Central. The crew get trapped aboard the ship with a horrific alien creature.
- After Bender denies having polished his ass with Fry's toothbrush, Fry's eyes narrow. An image of Fry with narrowed eyes in "The Lesser of Two Evils" became popular as an internet meme.
- When Dan McMasters introduces himself to the crew, all three of the pairs that are fighting — Fry and Bender, Leela and Amy, and Hermes and Zoidberg — are separated by two crew members.
- Fry and Bender name their winning combination "Friender". "Friender" is also the name of the Fry/Bender merger in one of the special features on the D.V.D. for Bender's Game.
- Bender asks Fry what the square root of 2345.4 is. The answer is approximately 48.43.
- The word "blorg" was previously used in "Reincarnation".
- It's implied that Professor Farnsworth may have hired Bender to steal Fry's kidney for his transplant, as they are from the same bloodline. [1ACV01]
- Click here to see cultural mentions made in this episode.
- The episode's title is a reference to the 1934 Agatha Christie novel Murder on the Orient Express.
- The episode's plot is inspired by the 1982 film The Thing.
- The name "For Your Eyes Mainly" is a reference to the James Bond film For Your Eyes Only.
- On one of the establishing shots of Planet Express, a pickup truck can be seen delivering an arcade cabinet featuring the title character from the 2012 film Wreck-It Ralph.
- The name "Jackie Jr." may be a reference to the Sopranos character Jackie Aprile, Jr..
- Fry tells Bender to leave the ship first, because he doesn't want him locking him outside like HAL. This is a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- Bender also used Fry's toothbrush for polishing in "The Butterjunk Effect".
- Nine calls Fry an old paranoid kook, a reference to Into the Wild Green Yonder.
- Zoidberg uses the F-Ray, first seen in "Fry and the Slurm Factory".
- Fry wears the space suit from "A Big Piece of Garbage".
- The fact that Bender has a gyroscope was established in "The Mutants Are Revolting".
- Fry previously wore Bender's body in "Rumble in the Jungle".
- The ship's basement was first seen in "Proposition Infinity".
- In this episode Bender is completely hollow, but in previous ones only his chest compartment was hollow and the rest of him was full of circuitry.
- Bender shouldn't reshape with Fry in him, as it's impossible for Fry to be strong enough to reshape the metal.
- The metal that Bender is made of may for some reason be extremely soft now.
Hermes: Enough of this foolishness! Amazingly, I too set up a spy camera, to catch Zoidberg stealin' my lunch.
Dan McMasters: So I hear we've been having some trust issues, huh? Well, for the next week... we'll be doing hundreds of trust falls from every possible height and level of gravity.
Bender: Or we could not do that.
Dan McMasters: Hello Planet Express! I'm Dan McMasters, and I'll be your retreat leader for a week of fun and personal empowerment!
Professor Farnsworth: [looking annoyed at the crew] I hope you're happy!
Bender: Fry. You saved my ass out there.
Fry: Aw... I couldn't let anything happen to something that shiny.
Scruffy: I weren't fooled. The real professor—
[The professor eats Scruffy.]
[Leela opens up a cabinet full of weapons inside the Planet Express ship and takes a rifle from inside; stood around her are Fry, Bender, Amy and Zoidberg.]
Leela: It's time we solved this problem the old fashioned way. By shooting it!
Bender: Wait, wait, wait, wait, you can't give everybody guns! What if one of us is the creature? It could be any of us: [The camera pans to each character as Bender calls out their name.] Fry. Leela. Amy. Zoidberg. [The camera pans to another Zoidberg stood next to the original.] Zoidberg.
[Everyone gasps and backs away.]
- Birthday (mentioned in speech only)
- "Bite my shiny metal ass" (alluded to)
- Debut: Cavitar Toothpaste
- Channel √2 News
- Dark-matter afterburner
- Dark-matter engines
- Facebook (mentioned in speech only)
- Fry-Bender relationship
- Fry-Leela relationship
- "Good news, everyone"
- Ink defense
- "Me, Bender"
- "My manwich!"
- Debut: Slurm Slim
- ^ Jesse David Fox (05 February 2013). Watch a Preview of Futurama’s Seventh Season. (Vulture.com.) Retrieved on 23 June 2013.
- ^ Team Building Retreat - Video Clip. (Comedy Central.) Retrieved on 08 August 2013.
- ^ Countdown to Futurama: Alien Form. (Comedy Central's Tumblr page.) 05 June 2013. Retrieved on 05 June 2013.
- ^ Countdown to Futurama: Alien Sneaking Up Behind Bender. (Comedy Central's Tumblr page.) 06 June 2013. Retrieved on 06 June 2013.
- ^ Countdown to Futurama: Fry with a Monster Mouth. (Comedy Central's Tumblr page.) 07 June 2013. Retrieved on 07 June 2013.