|First appearance||"Love's Labours Lost in Space" (1ACV04)|
The Nibblonians are the oldest known species in the universe. They stand about one foot tall and have two large eyes, as well as a third eye on an antenna in the center of their foreheads. They have black fur (leaving them prone to hairballs), with pale yellow circles on their bellies and around their mouths. The males have fangs but the females don't. The Nibblonians are widely considered to be the cutest race to ever exist, though this is something they resent.
The Nibblonians are a proud, ancient race, their history extending 17 years before the universe existed. However, this can be explained with the loop of time and the possibility thar their race grew old in a different universe before coming to ours. Brilliant and powerful, since the dawn of time they have battled their ancient nemesis, the Brain Spawn.
The Nibblonians live extraordinarily long lives. It is not known at what age, or even if, they die of old-age. All that is known is that they can live far in excess of 1000 years. Members of the species seem to eat primarily meat (only Nibbler has been shown eating anything else), and in prodigious quantities. They regularly consume many times the mass of their bodies per day, without gaining weight. The Nibblonians also have a "cuteness reflex" that kicks in whenever they are scared or in danger. It causes them to act like helpless, adorable creatures. As waste, they excrete pellets of dark matter, an extremely heavy material formerly used as a starship fuel. The mechanism by which meat, which is made of ordinary matter, is converted into dark matter inside the Nibblonian advanced digestive tract is unknown, although it can be assume it may be based on a kind of black hole or pocket dimension which would explain their ability to eat much larger creatures whole and not visibly gain any weight. They are capable of swallowing themselves to enter their digestive systems and get out of a universe. The Nibblonian eyestalk is capable of emitting several types of energy that can wipe memories or burn skin.
- Strangely, even though they are made up of parts that many would consider ugly (eyestalk, fangs, one huge nostril), the combination makes them quite cute and cuddly, an image they abhor.
- The Nibblonians' strongest fighter space craft is their Kitten-Class Attack Ships.
- The Nibblonian ruling council is presented in a manner similar to the Grey Council of the Babylon 5 series: with hooded faces and illuminated by beams of light from above. Also, their number is identical (nine, which is significant in Babylon 5), and they, like the Grey Council, are the leaders of a race older than humanity who has long fought a terrible enemy (in B5, the Shadows).
- They be based on the Time Lords from gallifry like the fact nibbler seemed to be the last of his kind (even though the time war didn't happen yet)or the brains are like the daleks and they watch over the universe
Ken: When the universe was forged in the crucible of the Big Bang, our mighty race was already 17 years old.
Nibbler: We live long and are celebrated poopers.
Fiona: The brains are weakening. [She presses an intercom button.] Nibblonians to Nibble stations. Prepare cuddle bug for deployment in 40 nibblets.
Nibbler: [Sighs.] Sometimes I fear we are cute.
Fiona: Oh, niggle-snoosh!
- The Nibblonians appear in too many episodes. The following list only covers episodes with Nibblonians other than Nibbler. See his appearances here.