Planet Express ship
|Planet Express ship|
|First appearance||"Space Pilot 3000" (1ACV01)|
The Planet Express ship was designed and built by Prof. Farnsworth (1ACV01). Its color is said to be Electric Mucus (BG). The ship is capable of traveling at 99% light speed (4ACV09), which is a lot faster than traditional light speed, since the speed of light was increased in 2208, but in fact it does not move at all. Instead, its engines move the universe around it. This is made possible in part by its incredible dark matter reactor equipped with afterburners providing 200% fuel efficiency (2ACV10), and the ship needs about 63 balls of dark matter to be full. However, due to dark matter becoming ineffective as fuel (BG), it now runs on whale oil (ItWGY). The ship has the LX package, but the only noted upgrade is a gold hood ornament which was stolen by a punk in a rough space neighbourhood (BG).
The ship is surprisingly comfortable inside. It carries two Hover Dollies to help move heavy cargo around (2ACV02). The ship can also be used in combat and has fought against the Robot Mafia, the Space Pirates, and the Omicronians during their first invasion of Earth. It is so effective in battle that it fought in the defence of Earth with the DOOP forces.
It is joked about in the DVD commentary for The Beast with a Billion Backs that the Planet Express ship seems to have numerous different systems, many of which are redundant. Specifically, jokes were made about how using a crane to load dark matter was that film's method of doing so. While it is obvious that the redundant systems are mistakes on the part of the writers, an in-universe explanation for this could be Prof. Farnsworth's senility causing him to create more mechanisms to perform a task that would never be necessary. It can also be explained by the numerous times that the ship needs to be rebuilt that it necessitates that a new system be devised.
Like all leading characters in the show, the ship has an overbite.
Parts of the ship
- The Bridge
- Leela's cabin
- Fry and Bender's cabin
- A Lounge
- A Sauna
- A full kitchen
- A full bathroom (the shower is soundproof)
- A laundry room (at a pinch, can also double-up as a brig)
- The cargo bay
- The Med-bay
- A Cage (complete with lion)
- Brain Room
- Emergency Supply Room
- Engine Room
- Jungle Room
- Military Strategy Room
- Vending Room
- Basement (which doubles as a storm shelter)
In addition, the ship carries a separate AI: the autopilot, who is rarely seen on-screen. The auto-pilot first appears in "Bendless Love" and makes another appearance in "Love and Rocket". The ship and the autopilot may not be separate entities: its voice is the same in both of its appearances and in "Love and Rocket", the ship handled autopilot duties.
Bender and the autopilot have had drinking contests, and Leela has referred to the autopilot as a drunk (although it is apparently standard protocol to carry a full compliment of olives with which to make martinis). The autopilot is also known to find certain art offensive, particularly art with explicit nudity.
- Modified to move underwater (2ACV12).
- Miniature Planet Express ship is shown (3ACV02).
- Painted red to suit the new business Awesome Express (3ACV12).
- Has its engines lost and Star Trek-style warp nacelles mounted to it (4ACV11).
- Old Planet Express ship is shown (4ACV12).
- Drawn in a similar style to Steamboat Willie (TBWABB).
- Resembling the Yellow Submarine from the movie Yellow Submarine (BG).
- Pulled along by dozens of Nibblonians due to dark matter being useless (BG).
- Coloured pink by the Feministas (ITWGY).
- Its engines are converted to burn Whale Oil (ITWGY).
- Deconstructed and rebuilt by Antarians in the Third World of the Antares system (6ACV03).
- Entirely eaten up by Trilobots on the Robo-Planetoid (6ACV09).
- Painted a different shade of green and renamed Omicronian Express under the rule of Lrrr (6ACV11).
- Attached to a large drill in Robanukah 3010 (6ACV13).
- With solar sails (6ACV15).
- The First Planet Express ship is shown (6ACV15)
- Dressed as an airplane (6ACV20).
- Reconceived in the animation styles of classic black-and-white ("C") and old-school videogame ("FC3") and turned into a tank ("ADF") (6ACV26).Disputed canon
Name:"Planet Express Ship(P.E.S.)" Proff
- In "A Clockwork Origin", Farnsworth calls it the Science-mobile.
- In "Lethal Inspection", Amy says that the ship has been repossessed, suggesting that the Professor didn't build the ship himself or it is rented out by the PE crew.
- Technically, the Planet Express ship appears in all episodes, as it is featured in the opening sequence, as well as in most comics. But it also appears in almost every episode outside of the opening sequence. Therefore, this list only deals with media where the ship is not seen.