|← Previous||Navigation in production order||Next →|
|← Previous||Navigation in broadcast order||Next →|
|Season 7 episode|
Broadcast season 10 episode
|Written by||Michael Rowe|
|Directed by||Raymie Muzquiz|
|Title caption||Put On 2-D Glasses Now|
|First air date||19 June 2013|
|Title reference||The 1971 film Two-Lane Blacktop|
"2-D Blacktop" is the one hundred and twenty-ninth episode of Futurama, the fifteenth of the seventh production season and the first of the tenth broadcast season. It aired on 19 June 2013, on Comedy Central. Professor Farnsworth joins a gang of street-racing punks.
|“||got to see Matt Groening, Leela AND Fry (Leela has two eyes and looks like Peggy Bundy FYI). No Bender though (I think he was scared)||”|
 Image gallery
The Professor explains how the digestive system works in the 2-D dimension.
A hot rod hovercar.
A design of the Planet Express ship after being crashed.
 Additional information
- The Professor names the Planet Express ship "Bessie".
- The music used during the inner city chase between Professor Farnsworth and the gang of street-racing punks is the song "Highway Star" by the band Deep Purple.
- Coincidentally, the upcoming Wii U game Mario Kart 8 will feature a Möbius dragstrip.
- The episode was originally supposed to be the second episode of its broadcast season. The Beast with a Billion Backs, which also features characters in two dimensions, is the second film. "Reincarnation", which, too, features characters in two dimensions, is the second segmented episode of the second run.
- Click here to see cultural mentions made in this episode.
- The episode's title is a reference to the 1971 road movie Two-Lane Blacktop, directed by Monte Hellman and starring James Taylor, Dennis Wilson, Warren Oates and Laurie Bird.
- A wrecked USS Enterprise from the Star Trek franchise can be seen in the scrap when the Professor approaches Impound Lot 136.
- The white car that Sal melts down is identical to Speed Racer's car.
The man who gasps after Sal melts down the car is a parody of Speed Racer himself.
- New New Jack City is named after the 1991 film New Jack City, which is set in New York.
- Thingly Wiggly is a parody of the supermarket chain Piggly Wiggly.
- The third act is a parody of the 1884 book Flatland, written by Edwin Abbott Abbott, which was adapted into a film in 2007.
- The Lords of Flatbush are named after the 1974 film of the same name.
- The Bonneville Salt Flatlands in the second dimension are a reference to the Bonneville Salt Flats located in Utah. There is also an area of the flats known as the Bonneville Speedway, where many land speed records have been broken.
- The episode contains many references to mathematics, including topology and fractal geometry.
- Bender's vandalism tile-art from "Proposition Infinity" re-appears.
- Fry previously did karate in "Attack of the Killer App" and "Forty Percent Leadbelly".
- Leela introduces the new ship as slower to make it safer, however later on she is able to beat the old ship in a drag race.
- When they are in the race, the Professor is wearing his racing clothes (black leather lab coat, black hat) but when he arrives in the second dimension he is wearing his standard attire.
- In the second dimension, Bender walks out of the new ship, but, in the establishing shot, only Leela is in the ship.
- Initially the Lords of Flatbush have guns, but when chasing the crew they only have spears.
- It's possible that spears were the closest weapons at hand for them to chase the crew with.
- The Professor makes it clear that it's impossible to go around others in the second dimension, but when they are eating at the castle, several of the creatures are sitting behind them.
- The creatures are actually above, not behind. As the Professor says, the laws of physics in the second dimension are different. For example: if the Professor is at coordinate 0,0 another creature could be present at 0,1 or 1,0, etc.
- Hermes claims the crew has only been gone for five minutes, however it was afternoon when they left, and it's clearly dusk when they arrive back.
Professor Farnsworth: Ah, perfect timing! I just turbo-charged the ship's matter compressor!
Fry: What's the matter compressor?
Professor Farnsworth: Nothing's the matter, Fry, now that I've turbo-charged the matter compressor.
Professor Farnsworth: That's it, you hoodlums! Your mouth just wrote a PayPal transfer request that your butt has insufficient funds to honor!
Racer #1: Yo. It is on! Before that it was off.
Racer #2: Marks. Set. Go, yo!
Amy: [upset] Do you think they're... dead?
Hermes: No, no. I choose to believe they're alive in some other dimension. Screamin' in agony.
[Amy wipes away a tear.]
Amy: I hope so.
King of Flatbush: The feast is served. Choose whatever two-dimensional foods you like. Crêpes, flatbread, McDonald's hamburgers. You get the idea.
Leela: Yum, apples! [She grabs a piece of apple and attempts to eat it.] Hey, how come I can't swallow?
Professor Farnsworth: Hmm, I guess it's because our two-ended digestive system can't exist in this dimension. I suppose that could be an issue.
[Leela mumbles and spits the piece of apple out.]
Leela: I knew it! I knew he'd get us killed somehow!
[The Professor begins to type on a computer.]
Professor Farnsworth: As you can see, or rather can't see, but take my word for it, such a digestive system would divide a 2-D being into separate pieces!
King of Flatbush: He's opening our minds to new ideas. Kill him!
 Alien-language sightings
Location: Sign on a building next to where Smitty and URL brake their police hovercar
Translation: HOT BLOOD
- Albert (montage)
- Auctioneer (cameo, 5:42)
- Debut: Benny (mentioned in speech only)
- Crack addict (cameo, 9:25)
- Professor Farnsworth
- H.G. Blob
- Debut: King of Flatbush
- Debut: Lords of Flatbush
- Debut: Minx
- Nina (montage)
- Debut: Pimparoo
- Randy Munchnik
- Sally (montage)
- Sam (human) (montage)
- Debut: Speed Racer look-alike
- Debut: Street-racing gang
- Debut: Yellow car
- Debut: Big Boy Karate
- Debut: Bonneville Salt Flatlands
- Debut: Glorianimous 3
- Debut: Möbius dragstrip
- Impound Lot 136
- Debut: New New Jack City
- Planet Express conference room
- Planet Express hangar
- Planet Express headquarters
- Planet Express lab
- Debut: Second dimension
- Debut: Thingly Wiggly
- Tokyo (mentioned in speech only)
- ^ a b Wall Photos. (Facebook.) 14 December 2011. Retrieved on 14 April 2012.
- ^ "Just Fan" (23 February 2012). "Futurama: Futurama News (pre-season 7)". (PEEL.) Retrieved on 23 February 2012.
- ^ Jesse David Fox (05 February 2013). Watch a Preview of Futurama’s Seventh Season. (Vulture.com.) Retrieved on 17 August 2013.
- ^ Countdown to Futurama: Eat and Digest Clip. (Comedy Central Tumblr blog.) 30 April 2013. Retrieved on 30 April 2013.
- ^ Countdown to Futurama: Maniac Street Racers. (Comedy Central Tumblr blog.) 13 June 2013. Retrieved on 13 June 2013.