|← Previous||Navigation in production order||Next →|
|Navigation in broadcast order||Next →|
|Season 4 episode|
Broadcast season 5 episode
|Written by||Ron Weiner|
|Directed by||Peter Avanzino|
|Title caption||[In AL1] Thanks for watching, Futurama Slave Army|
|First air date||13 July, 2003|
|Title reference||Spanish Fly, an old aphrodisiac|
|Opening cartoon||Much Ado About Mutton|
"Spanish Fry" is the seventy-first episode of Futurama, the seventeenth of the fourth production season and the twelfth of the fifth broadcast season. It aired on 13 July, 2003, on Fox. When Fry succeeds in retrieving his nose, which was taken by aliens, a more precious appendage of his is placed in peril.
- 1 The Story
- 2 Additional Info
- 3 Episode Credits
Act I: "Oh my God! Look, it's Bigfoot!"
The crew goes on company vacation in Duraflame National Forest, an area famous for the possible sightings of Bigfoot - it is actually a National Bigfoot Reserve. The Park Ranger explains all about Bigfoot and the continued uncertainty about the actual existence of this mythical creature by means of a movie. That night, Bender, wanting Fry's tent, decides to take advantage of Fry's belief in Bigfoot, so he can have a place to sleep. Fry thinking that Bender really is Bigfoot, goes to meet the endangered creature. During his search Fry gets lost in the woods and is abducted by an UFO.
Act II: "OK, you can have my nose!"
When Fry rejoins the camp the next morning, the crew notice that an important part of the delivery boy is missing - his nose. They return to New New York to get Fry a new nose, there they hear that recently humans have been abducted by aliens and returned without noses. The culprits are alien hunters that are after human horn, apparently a powerful and expensive aphrodisiac much desired on alien worlds and in fact nothing else than human noses. Leela, Bender and Fry mount a search and travel to the Galactic Bazaar (Slogan: Legal goods etc.) where they eventually find a chamaeleon-like sleazy dealer in one of the shops who trades human horn. They extract the information from him who bought Fry's nose: it was Lrrr, ruler of Omicron Persei 8. The three of them travel there to recover the nose before it is used and soon learn why Lrrr has stooped to using human horn: his marriage isn't going all that well. He was hoping that it could be mended by his purchase. His wife Ndnd returns the nose, but as the Omicronians learn that the nose is not, in fact, a sexual organ, Lrrr is now after Fry's, as he puts it, lower horn.
Act III: "I keep my horn as long as you two end up doing the horizontal monster mash"
Fry is of course reluctant to let go of his lower horn, and Leela suggests that Lrrr and Ndnd resolve their relationship problems by something other than an aphrodisiac. Ndnd once loved the sensitive side of her husband that she now misses in him. Fry manages to cut a deal: if he makes the two of them love each other again, he gets to keep his lower horn. Him, Leela and Bender travel back to Duraflame National Forest and arrange a romantic dinner under the stars, but everything they try to inflame the two Omicronians love to each other fails miserably, even when Leela begins to sing what she thinks is the most beautiful love song ever written (I will always love you) which the Omicronians actually misinterpret as a sonic attack. Fry is about to lose his lower horn when Bigfoot makes an actual appearance. At once, Lrrr and Ndnd are fascinated with this cute sight, and as Ranger Park tries to attack Bigfoot with a tranquilizer gun in order to cut off his feet and prove his existence, they defend him. Lrrr then realizes that cutting off Fry's lower horn would make him no better than the ranger, and lets Fry go. Ndnd realizes that the sensitive Lrrr she once loved still exists, and the two of them instantly start to make out.
- The opening theme tune is sung a capella in a beatbox style by John DiMaggio and Billy West instead of the usual instrumental version.
- In the credits, The Scary Door has another short appearance.
- Fry mounts his tent using a frying-pan.
- The production year of the documentary about Bigfoot is MMCMLXII, which is 2962.
- When Amy and Leela look up at the satellites, one of them reads "Top Quality Exercycle For Sale". Ranger Park is on the phone preparing this advertisement earlier in the episode.
- The sex shop at the Galactic Bazaar is named "The Beast With Two Bucks", a reference to Shakespeare's Othello. Iago tells Brabantio that his daughter, Desdemona, is making "the beast with two backs" with Othello (which means she's having sex with him). It will be referenced again as the title of the second Futurama film, The Beast with a Billion Backs.
- The title of the episode refers to the popular aphrodisiac product "Spanish fly".
- Gene Shalit bobbleheads are seen in the Galactic Bazaar.
- The flying Winnebago from Spaceballs is seen amongst the RVs in the parking lot.
- A vehicle resembling a Sandcrawler from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope can be found in the parking lot.
- In the Galactic Bazaar you can see Joe Camel from Camel cigarettes trying on a pair of glasses.
- The tube that comes out of the UFO that abducts Fry is reminiscent of one of the old Windows screensavers.
- The satellite advertising the park ranger's "Top Quality Exercycle For Sale" is shaped like Sputnik.
- Lrrr responds to Ndnd's insult about his fat consumption by threatening "one of these days Ndnd, bang, zoom, straight to the third moon of Omicron Persei 8!" This paraphrases Ralph's constant threat to send Alice to the moon in The Honeymooners.
- Upon exiting his "freedom cage," Fry declares "I never thought I'd escape with my doodle, but I pulled it out," to which Bender replies "just like at the movie theater!". This is likely a reference to Paul Reubens' 1991 arrest for indecent exposure at an adult theater.
- The 3D car spinning over the open fire in the Galactic Bazaar is the same car used in the episode "The Lesser of Two Evils".
- The photo Fry shows to the Human Horn dealer is a picture of himself and Slurms MacKenzie.
- Bigfoot was previously mentioned in the title caption in "Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch", and was seen on a magazine cover in "The Farnsworth Parabox".
- Joe (camel) is seen at the Galactic Bazaar.
Zoidberg: Bender, if you want sleep in the tent tonight, you're welcome to join me and Hermes for a little "just friends" spooning.
Fry: Wow, nice tube.
Leela: Someone should tell him.
Professor Farnsworth: Fry, what in Sega Genesis happened?
Ndnd: Why don't you just inject some fat straight into your ass and cut out the middle man!?
Lrrr: One of these days, Ndnd - bang, zoom, straight to the third moon of Omicron Persei 8!
Lrrr: My weight is appropriate and attractive!
Human Horn Dealer: You're not a cop are you?
Lrrr: No, I'm just... some guy, ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8!!
Bender: Boy, who knew a cooler could make a handy wang coffin.
Fry: Wait! Listen. I'm usually the first guy to toot my own lower horn--
Bender: I'll say! Wooooo!
Fry: But in this case I-I just don't think it'll do any good.
Bender: That's what she said! Wooooo!
Lrrr: This jerked chicken is good! I think I'll have Fry's lower horn jerked.
Bender: [offscreen] It's used to it! WOOOOO!
Fry: I never thought I'd escape with my doodle, but I pulled it out!
Bender: [offscreen] Just like at the movie theater! Wooooo!
Lrrr: This human's lower horn is one of God's creatures, a living thing, and all living things, large and small--
Bender: [offscreen] In this case "small"! Wooooo!
Leela: [Running away from the Omicronians as they begin to make love.] Well, Fry, it looks like you get to hold onto your lower horn.
Bender: As usual! Wooooo! RUN AWAYYYYYY!
Alien Language Sightings
Location: Opening titles
Translation: THANKS FOR WATCHING, FUTURAMA SLAVE ARMY