Amazon Women in the Mood
|← Previous||Navigation in production order||Next →|
|← Previous||Navigation in broadcast order||Next →|
|Season 3 episode|
|Amazon Women in the Mood|
|Written by||Lewis Morton|
|Directed by||Brian Sheesley|
|Title caption||Secreted by the Comedy Bee|
|First air date||4 February, 2001|
|Title reference||The film Amazon Women on the Moon|
|Special guest(s)||Beatrice Arthur|
Outstanding Animated Program, 2001
"Amazon Women in the Mood" is the thirty-third episode of Futurama, the first of the third production season and the fifth of the third broadcast season. It aired 4 February, 2001 on FOX. It guest stars Beatrice Arthur as the Femputer. After Kif has shown his affection for Amy, Zapp arranges a double half-date with Leela and Kif and Amy. However, their restaurant crashes into a planet, and Bender and Fry discover they have been captured by a bunch of Amazonians.
 The Story
 Act I: "Little Nibbler's been coughing up hairballs!"
During a vote in the Planet Express Confrence Room, Zoidberg is mysteriously silent. Fry declares, "He's dead," but Zoidberg then enters the room, revealing that the "corpse" was in fact Zoidberg's shell, which he molted after having outgrown it. He picks up the shell and takes it to the dumpster behind the Planet Express Building.
After he leaves, Amy's cell-phone rings. She answers, only to hear incomprehensible gasping and mumbling, then the caller hangs up. The person on the other end is revealed to be Lieutenant Kroker, who has been infatuated with Amy since the incident aboard the Titanic (1ACV10). After revealing this to Zapp, Zapp realizes that Amy knows Leela, whom he is constantly trying to seduce. Zapp contacts Leela and, after a negotiation, sets up half a double-date.
 Act II: "Sir, I don't go out on many dates."
For the date, they all go to Le Palm D'Orbit, a space-based restaurant with Karaoke. Zapp gives Kif his book of pickup lines, which Kif then reads to Amy attempting to impress her. Unfortunately, lines such as "I find the most erotic part of the woman is the boobies," causes the women to be disgusted and Leela to proclaim the date over. After a brief trip to the bathroom to fix their makeup, they begin storming out but are stopped by Kif's emotional Karaoke performance. Kif's performance, however, is interrupted by Zapp's horrible, spoken-word rendition of "Lola" in which he's replaced the name Lola with Leela.
All the patrons of the restaurant flee Zapp's "singing" in the escape pods. Leela tells Zapp to call them a space-taxi, but he declines, opting instead to fly the restaurant himself despite the objection of Kif. Shortly thereafter, he crashes the ship onto Planet Amazonia.
 Act III: "Where are all the men in your society?"
Back at Planet Express, Zoidberg tries on some shells from his new catalogue. However, his stereotypical portrayal of Mexicans offends Bender, who is a Mexican ("Hecho en México"). Zoidberg tries another shell (a breezy summer number), but Hermes informs him that the Planet Express health plan only covers one kind of replacement shell: A plain white one with a bar code across the front.
Fry is worried that Leela and Amy haven't returned from their half-date, but when he attempts to call the restaurant, he is informed that it has crashed into a planet. He and Bender set off to rescue the señoritas.
Meanwhile, Leela is wondering what planet they're on, when Zapp claims the sector is uncharted (Though Kif says he lost the chart). The ground begins to pound, and the four hide behind the Karaoke machine. Three Amazonians emerge from the jungle, and although they assume there's nobody around, Zapp reveals himself before they can leave. Zapp is cut off before he can finish his pickup line, and the four are dragged off into the jungle.
Fry and Bender land on the planet and find the prisoners being led by a chain. Before they can formulate a plan, they are discovered and captured. The women are set free while the men are kept prisoner. After a short tour of the village, they are taken to the leader of Amazonian society, who will decide their fate. The leader is a femputer who hates men. The Femputer takes her leave to decide the men's fate.
The men are chained to the wall of the chamber. The Amazonians ask what men are used for on Earth, and Amy informs them. The Amazonians call this act "snoo-snoo", and reveal that the last men who visited Amazonia died of crushed pelvises. The Fem-puter returns and sentences the men to death… by snoo-snoo.
 Act IV: "Death by snoo-snoo!"
Leela makes an appeal for her friends, but the Femputer is angered by the knowledge that the men made fun of their basketball team. Bender, however, is released on the basis that he's a manbot, not a man.
Zapp is sentenced to be snoo-snoo'd by the large women; Fry by the petite women; Kif, being the most attractive, by the most beautiful women, followed by the large women, then the petite women, then the large women again. Before the punishment commences, Kif reveals that the things he said on the date were Zapp's idea, and that he was the one calling and hanging up. He tells Amy that he loves her.
The men are taken into the snoo-snoo chambers, and Leela tells Bender to interface with the Femputer to rescue the men from their fate.
 Act V: "Where go beautiful man? Me want snu-snu!"
Bender sneaks past the guards, who are engaged in a debate about which of them is fat. While overriding the CPU with a lead pipe, a panel on the Fem-puter falls open, revealing that there is a fembot operating the Femputer. The fembot tells Bender that she disguised herself to rule the Amazonians, because of her oppression on her homeworld, which was ruled by a manputer that was really a manbot.
In the snoo-snoo chambers, the punishment continues, and Leela decides that Bender is taking too long. She fruitlessly attacks each Amazonian, but one of them grabs her, throws her down, and sits on her. Amy, meanwhile, has disguised herself to infiltrate the snoo-snoo chamber containing Kif, and absconds with him. However, she is cornered in the Femputer chamber, where the Femputer orders the Amazonians to release all the prisoners (and demands gold, somehow in Bender's voice).
Back at Planet Express, Zoidberg has found a new shell. This one looks just like his old one, and he found it in the same dumpster. This one had a racoon inside, though. Fry and Zapp are in pelvic casts, apparently having suffered at least partially crushed pelvises. Kif probably avoided this fate due to the fact that his kind don't have bones. Kif asks Amy what she'd like to do, and she whispers something in his ear. His response is flustered, incomprehensible mumbling.
 Additional Info
- Sign at Le Palm D'Orbit lobby reads "Palm D'Orbit Coat Check 25 cent Surcharge Each Sleeve Over 9". The centipede walking away from the coat check has 14 sleeves on his shirt, but may have more on his coat. This means he paid at least $1.25 extra on his coat check.
- Le Palm D'Orbit is likely a reference to The Palm Restaurant, a New York City based chain of fine dining steakhouses known for high prices. It is also a reference to the Palme d'Or, the highest prize awarded at the Cannes Film Festival.
- Kif has a bouquet of daffodils, maintaining the daffodil's lead of most popular Futurama flower.
- Zapp's spoken-word performance of 'Leela' is a reference to William Shatner's spoken-word versions of many popular songs, most notably Rocketman, as well as many original songs.
- Zapp also refers to himself as the Velour Fog, a play on Mel Torme's nickname, the Velvet Fog.
- Songs performed on the Karaoke:
- The drooping items on the table back at Planet Express are reminiscent of Salvador Dali artwork.
- The ridicule of women leaders is reminisent of the sexism of Leela's judo master.
- Fembot speaks over a Sonya loudspeaker. Sonya, a variation of the name Sonia, is used as a play on Sony and Sanyo.
- Fembot's story is an obvious take-off on the Wizard in the the Wizard of Oz.
- The concept of the Femputer is an allusion to the Star Trek episode The Return of the Archons
- When Leela looks into the ripples in the pond caused by vibrations, her reflection momentarily gives her the appearance of a two eyed human. This could possibly be an instance of foreshadowing of "The Cyber House Rules".
- This is the #1 episode on IGN's list of Top 25 Futurama Episodes.
- Even though Amy's parents introduced Amy to Kif and encouraged her to date him, they never seemed to accept him in later on episodes. This may be because he presumably lost his title as captain after the crash of the Titanic.
- Zapp's line "She is built like a steakhouse, but handles like a bistro" may be a reference to starship Bistromath from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series.
- More likely its just a comparison of reletive sizes. A steakhouse is generally bigger and bulkier while a bistro is typically smaller and more intimate.
- Although Fry was fired by the end of the previous episode ("The Cryonic Woman"), he is back working at Planet Express in this episode without any explanation given.
- The Professor had already forgotten why he fired Fry by the end of that episode. His senility probably caused him to hire Fry again.
- Kif tells Zapp that he is in love with a girl, then Zapp says that Amy knows Leela when Kif didn't tell him that it was Amy.
- He may have guessed that it was Amy because of the newspaper picture of Amy and Leela together.
- That and he would see that they were talking on the videophone.
- And that the walls of Kif's cubicle are covered with pictures of Amy.
- Amy puts lipstick on before Kif's Karaoke performance, but after Zapp's performance, her lipstick is gone.
- When Leela is looking at her two-eyed reflection in the puddle, the rip in her tank top is on the wrong side.
- At the end when Bender says "If she calls, I'm not here," his chest cabinet is open but, when it zooms out to show the gold he's carrying, the sound for opening his cabinet can be heard.
- He may have been opening his compartment as the camera was zooming out.
- When Bender opens his compartment to show the label "Hecho en Mexico", his door falls off. The next scene has him sitting down with the door on, but not enough time passed for him to even sit down.
Leela: Guys who call too much are the worst... I bet...
Kif: If I said you have a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
Zapp: She's built like a steak house, but she handles like a Bistro.
Zapp: [As the flying restaurant plummeting through the atmosphere.] You win again, gravity!
Telephone Voice: The number you have dialed has crashed into a planet. Please make a note of it.
Fry: We have to go save them.
Bender: Nah, why bother?
Fry: Bender, think of the señoritas!
[A cord of Hispanic music plays.]
Fry: A female leader? [laughs]
Leela: Fry, shut up.
Fry: Yes, captain.
Zapp: [laughing] Oh God, you're killing me. [getting beaten up] Oh God, you're killing me!
Amazon woman: Men die out many years ago.
Bender: With all these women around they probably got nagged to death. Am I right fellas?
[Zapp, Fry, and Bender begin laughing hysterically.]
[Amazonians, Leela, and Amy glare at the men.]
[Zapp, Fry, and Bender stop abruptly.]
Leela: Sure, men are annoying, and they wreck up whatever planet they're in charge of. But most of these men are sorta my friends.
Fry: Goodbye, my friends. I never thought I'd die this way. But I always really hoped.
Zoidberg: So long. I'm off to toss this old shell in the dumpster and maybe pick up those potato chips Amy didn't finish yesterday.
Amy: Those were toenail clippings.
Zoidberg: A feast is a feast.
- The relationship between Kif and Amy began when Amy's parents introduced her to Kif as they were abandoning ship when the Titanic was going down (1ACV10), and will continue when Amy takes Kif to meet her parents on Mars (3ACV10).
- During the flashback to the Titanic trip, Bender can be seen in the background, throwing away the bracelet he got from the Countess, which Hermes revealed was fake in (1ACV10).
- Thog is the first Amazonian to have been seen before this episode. She was the representative in the DOOP whom Fry flirted with in (2ACV02).
- Leela's ragged clothes are the same as those she wore when Robots took over the world (2ACV14) and when Fry and Bender destroyed the Planet Express building (2ACV19).
- This is the third time we hear Amy speaking Chinese (1ACV02, 2ACV17). She will speak Chinese again in Seasons 5 (BBS, ITWGY) and 6 (6ACV08, 6ACV10).
- Zapp now pronounces champagne correctly, while he didn't in (1ACV04).
- (In alphabetic order)